- Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) has notified “Electronics and Information Technology Goods (Requirement for Compulsory Registration) Order, 2012″on 3 Oct 2012 for fifteen categories of electronics items. Another 15 product categories were added by MeitY under this order on 13 Nov 2014.
- As per the Order, no person shall manufacture or store for sale, import, sell or distribute goods which do not conform to the Indian standard specified in the order. Manufacturers of these products are required to apply for registration from Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) after getting their product tested from BIS recognized labs.
- Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) then registers the manufacturers under its registration scheme who are permitted to declare that their articles conform to the Indian Standard (s).
The registered manufacturers are then allowed to use the words “Self declaration – Conforming to IS (corresponding Indian Standard number) along with R-XXXXXXXX(Registration number) and/or put the Standard Mark notified by the Bureau.
Who can apply?
- Manufacturers of any of thirty products notified in Compulsory Registration Order (dated 03rd October 2012and dated 14th November 2014 issued by MietY), located in India or outside India can apply for grant of Registration under Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS).
- Manufacturers have to apply for separate Registration number for products being manufactured at different locations.
- Manufacturers have to apply for separate Registration number for each brand being manufactured at the same location
Steps involved in Registration
- Applicants are required to apply onlinefor grant of Registration.
- Test reports issued from labs recognized by BIS under CRSto be submitted with application.
- All foreign applicants having no liaison office or branch office located in India have to appoint Authorized Indian Representative (AIR) as per the guidelines issued by BISin the prescribed nomination form.
- Authorized Indian Representatives of applicants located outside India have to submit an affidavit cum undertaking as mentioned in the guidelines.
- All applicants located in India have to submit an affidavit cum undertaking.
- Fill the application form. Refer the checklist of documentsto be submitted along with the application form.
- Hard copies of application to be submitted within 15 daysof online submission of the application. In case of non-receipt of hard copies of application within fifteen days of online submission, the application wil be treated as closed.
- BIS will scrutinize the applications. (Refer some of the commonly observed shortcomingsoberserved by BIS during scrutiny of application.)
- All queries on the application will be raised by BIS online and have to be replied by applicants online.
- The shortcomings communicated have to be complied by the applicant without any delay.
- The applicant will be responsible for overall delay in Grant of Registraion in case of incomplete application and delayed response to queries.
- Once query is satisfactorily resolved and affidavit cum undertaking has been submitted, Registration is granted by BIS.
- The grant of Registration letter will be uploaded on the applicant’s portal.
- Registered manufacturers can request for inclusion of new models of the same product and brand under same registration number.
- Registration is initially granted for 2 years which has to be renewed after every 2 years. For details on renewal.
- Refer to guidelines for use of Standard Mark and labelling requirementsunder BIS Compulsory Registration Scheme for Electronic and IT Products, after Grant of Registration
Total Time for BIS Registration will be approx. 30 working days, including testing time (15 working days) and BIS application processing time (15 working days).
This duration can be reduced if all the required information and documents are submitted promptly by the applicant.