In the era of globalization, world trade is growing rapidly and henceforth, Manufacturing and Import/Export businesses are also growing drastically. Regardless of what position you deal with, maybe you are an Importer, Trader, Supplier, or most of all a Manufacturer, there are some liability of compliance & regulatory requirements which need to be fulfilled before introducing any kind of products in the market. When we talk about Electronic & IT products, a major quality control compliance is required known as BIS REGISTRATION. On this page you won’t miss a piece of single information about compliance requirement of BIS Registration Process of products found under Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS). To understand the requirement of BIS, lets draw some attention on the history, organs and nature of BIS LICENCE:
WHAT IS BIS LICENCE
Having a BIS Licence for your manufactured products means protection, standardization and quality marking for an accountable and traceable system, which eventually accommodate your consumers, creating a sense of assurance and trust. BIS Licence is provided by the “Bureau of Indian Standards” (BIS), which is a National Standard Body of India established under the BIS Act 1986. BIS Licence promotes imports and domestic manufacturer by guiding them on the regular basis with the right specifications of the products to harmonize the flow and quality through certification and testing.
BIS COMPULSORY REGISTRATION SCHEME FOR ELECTRONIC & IT PRODUCTS (BIS REGISTRATION SCHEME)
Under this scheme, manufacturers must get their Electronic & IT products registered by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) before launching them in the market. To be precise there is a total of 76 products category that is recognized till now, out of which 63 products are added by MEITY, 5 by MNRE, and 8 by MHIPE. For your convenience, we are providing a table with all the 76 products name and Indian Standard required under BIS at the end of this article. In this Compulsory Registration Order (CRO) the ministry listed a total of 15 categories of electronic products in the 1st phase. Later on, the ministry issued five phases on regular intervals, in the last and latest phase (Phase-V) the central government included 7 more electronic products on 05 October 2020, which make it a total of 63 Electronics and Information Technology products. Not just that other departments also added some of the products to BIS REGISTRATION SCHEME like 5 products related to Solar Photovoltaics, Systems, Devices and Components which is added and regulated by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), and 8 products related to Low – Voltage Switchgear and Control Gear which is added by The Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises under BIS REGISTRATION. If you are a Manufacturer of any electronic or IT product then we are sure you immediately want to check beneath the table for your product specification under Indian Standard, and you could but don’t miss the exact details with facts and figures we are about to present in this article. Your enquiries for latest updates are always welcome at firstname.lastname@example.orgWe know at this moment, so many questions are tingling in your mind, but don’t worry at all. Lets have a look on complete operating mechanism of BIS Registration is your questioner formats (Requirement/Procedure/Time Line/Cost).
In 2012, Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS) was introduced by Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY), jointly with Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS). Beneath you will find the proper process of BIS Registration for BIS CRS, from online application to Grant licence - step by step
Does your product qualify the eligibility for BIS Registration or not?
- First of all, If you are a manufacturer of any product included in the CRS Scheme and seeking to register to use or apply Standard Mark on it then the licence will be granted to you by the BIS for BIS Registration based on your self-declaration of conformity of the product with the application you are submitting.
- This self-declaration of conformity from you indicates that your manufacturing infrastructure can produce quality products with necessary testing facilities which can test the products in the prescribed period at your premises only.
- Self-Declaration of Conformity
- Test Report Conformity by Third-Party Testing Laboratory of Product Samples (Components and raw materials).
- The Evidence for the Name and Address of the manufacturing unit along with the scope of business activity.
- Details of the samples to be tested by BIS
- Also, the details of the product’s Models/Varieties to be covered
- If you already being tested your product in past and wanted to use the prior test reports for BIS CRS registration, just be sure that the test reports are not older than 90 days from the date of online application receipt.
- In case you like to submit a supplementary test report from the brand whose product is already tested and accepted by BIS then the supplementary report will be considered but not older than 90 days from the date of application.
- The time period of testing will depend on the lab chosen by the manufacturer and the submission of technical details for testing the product. Samples for initial registration can be submitted directly to any of the BIS-recognized labs.
- Afterward, the registration will be processed by BIS if all submitted documents are in order. Independent samples are picked up only during the surveillance process.
The Costing to obtain the BIS Registration will vary with Respect to the followings:
- Location of Manufacturer. (Domestic/Oversea)
- Type of Product and Number of Models.
- Applicable government fee and service fee.
- If there is no adverse feedback in the frequent observation, then the licence needs to be considered for renewal in a period of minimum two years on the request of the licensee. The acceptance of the request for renewal of BIS Licence will also depend upon the application fee, annual fee, processing fee, and any dues that should be submitted prior to the application of renewal of BIS Licence.
- The renewal application can be created from the BIS portal in Form - VI along with an attachment to Form VI (Production Report) preferably three months before the validity date(2 years).
- The BIS licence will be called as expired after 90 days from the date of validity (2 years) if renewal application and requisite fee (including late fee) is not received from the licensee.
Now that all the submission with quality testing, Conformity, and Documentation work is in line. The Granting of Licence from BIS is expected to be completed within 20 working days. In case the documentation and conformity are not satisfactory or in any deficiency at the first instance, the BIS concerned official will communicate with you for the same with a rejection notice if the deficiency is not resolved within 30 days.
Wait, of course it’s not over yet. With 10 years of experience in product certification, we know that there are still some questions in your mind. So why to wait, let’s also discuss on those topics
- Standard Mark will be the Mark of trust for your consumers on electronic and IT products and packaging you intent to keep on selling in the market complying BIS CRS Scheme.
- This Mark is your granted licence from BIS, which will be Marked on every manufactured product and as well on the packaging.
- Standard Mark will be carrying IS number and unique registration number.
- The product detail, as per the requirement of the Indian Standard, which may include variety, model number, lot or batch number, date or week of manufacturing, complete address of the manufacturer, need be marked on either the product or the packaging or contained in a label attached to the product.
- As it has been seen in previous years that the list of products whether it is electronic, IT, or products related to renewable energy, is growing at an effective pace. Any product can be covered in BIS CRS Scheme anytime in the future, so what will happen if the particular product already in bulk stock or in the market. In this case, the domestic manufacturers and importers will not be at a loss because products manufactured before the date of order will not be covered under the Compulsory Registration Order (CRO).
- What if the products are ordered already and you are just expecting the delivery? In this case, the products landing at Indian ports on or after the due date must comply with the requirements of the order.
- If the product is the same but the brand is different then every brand is required to be registered separately. Still, it is possible to acquire BIS registration of products from the different brands on common test reports, if the product and manufacturing location are the same.
- However, if the same product is manufactured at different locations by the same manufacturer or not, then every premises will be needing different test reports, and BIS Licence also be granted separately.
Yes, it doesn’t matter if the particular product is already carrying CE, UL & FCC Mark or tested in any International Safety Standards, it is mandatory to need a BIS licence if the product comes under BIS CRS Scheme, to sell in the Indian market.
BIS notifies that this responsibility is of the foreign manufacturer to get the product tested by any BIS recognized laboratory. The registered imported products will be picked up from the market or from the local representative of the foreign manufacturer during surveillance.
PRODUCTS UNDER BIS REGISTRATION SCHEME
As of now, There are following products which needs be registered with BIS and require BIS Registration to Manufacture/Import and sell the product in the INDIAN market. Click on below listed products for more information. Call us at 08048036869 or Email at email@example.com for more details.